Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Road a Review

I have been meaning to read this for years since I heard it won the Pulitzer in '07.
Was trolling Amazon as I am oft to do, and sure enough I saw The road for £3.86 and I jumped at it. Of course not even looking at the cover (shouldn't judge books by 'em anyway) When It arrived I thought what the hell is Aragorn doin on my book cover! Did I get the right one. Turns out its now a major motion of all things The Road.

Anywho onto the  review I literally couldn't put it down. Normally I like to read a little slower savouring as I go and what now. I tore through It in two days.

Highly recommend it. The Story follows a man and his son, Who remain unnamed, as they travel across a post apocalyptic wasteland of a burned United States. Finding food, shelter, supplies avoiding the various dangers presented by not just the environment, but other survivors of the Nuclear Fallout.

Initally the lack of punctuation especially around dialog as you'd expect from normal prose was a little off putting but after a few pages it drags you in and you can't escape. Its akin to an epic poem more than a novel.


Its a very moving story full of emotion, really some parts where especially emotionally draining, so much so as I was shocked. It has been a very long time since a book captured me this way. (and there was me thinking I was getting too cynical or something) But at the same time as it is depressing it is also very uplifting, quiet the emotional roller-coaster.

So inconclusion go read it. Haven't watched the movie yet. Not sure if I will as with other books I really enjoy the movie often disappoints.

No comments:

Post a Comment