Tuesday, June 22, 2010

iOS4 on the good "old" iPhone 3GS

Yesterday I synced with my iTunes clicked update and some 300-odd megabytes later my phones OS was updated to version 4. Just wanted to share a few of my first views on the software.

As of June 21st in the year of our lord 2010, Steve Jobs opened the doors and loosed his new creation iPhone 4.0 along with a new OS, now re-branded as iOS4 instead if iPhoneOS. They apparently made the thing backwards compatibly (to varying degrees) with older version of the phone, which was nice of them. In this post ill share my first impression of this backwards compatibility.

Now at first glance the UI looks sharper and brighter, the first thing that catches the eye is now you get background wallpaper, It is quiet nice to now see my wife behind my application icons when I slide my "slide to unlock" bar. The new live  5x digital zoom is nice, up to about 2.5x then its not worth looking at.

I then noticed that the email client was a little slower checking my mail (G mail, IMAP) I chalked this up to all the new fangled updated they have done to the mail software business level encryption and the like, but then an overall sluggishness seemed to descend upon my phone. Its bearable but almost noticeably, after a few weeks I'll be used to it. I assume its to do with the iOS4 being optimised to the tech of iPhone 4. Its just got more power under the hood than the older models.

One slight annoyance was the App-specific location settings, after the update every App I opened asked me about location, but only once and never again.

App folders is very nice, you can have you can set up folder that contain Apps up to 12, give it name up to 13 characters. allowing for Up to 2,160 instead of 180 visible Apps.



The Multitasking is nice, you can now double click the home key to open up a slider bar with a list of your Apps to choose so you can switch back and forth, this will probably diminish performance on older models, iPhone 4.0 probably not since it was built for it. But its a nice little feature.

I'm not really sure but I think my battery is draining faster, but that may all be in my head.

Click here for a comprehensive list of features of iOS4.

There are many more features that I will have to sit down to examine and test out but haven't had a chance yet, These are just my first opinions after a day of normal use and are subject to change. 

Well anyway thanks for reading, you can check out my tweeter for my more up to that minute opinions.

See you next blog.

 - Rigas

No comments:

Post a Comment