Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

The last few days I've been tweeting about a my latest discovery, the amazing new Marvel Animation Production  The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I knew it was in the works for a while and didn't really care, the last few Marvel shows weren't that entertaining Iron Man:Armored Adventures, Super Hero Squad etc and while were at it, most carton shows produced in the last ten years or so haven't been up to scratch. There were a few exceptions like Justice League/Justice League unlimited and Batman Beyond.

I know these shows are aimed at children, but the comics they are based on are mostly purchased by older teenagers all the way up to old age adults. So I feel the show should be equally entertaining and enjoyable for those fans too. When I was young the shows I watched, while aimed at children, could be enjoyed by adults in fact I can still watch a lot of those shows today and be entertained, Batman: The Animated Series, 1990's Spiderman, X-men and many more.

"Avengers Assemble!"


My Nephew is 6 and trying to watch some of the shows that pass for children's entertainment is almost painful sometimes. Ben 10 is really the only tolerable one, and that's only after they revamped everything for the second and third seasons. For Example as I am typing up this post on the current "childrens channels" right now are a Ben 10 marathon for the next eight hours, Hero 108, The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo, Spongebob and Phineas and Ferb. 

I remember Spiderman's Neogenic nightmare saga in the 1990's and not being able to wait to see the next one. And this seems to be something they are striving for in the new Avengers series. The first time I saw Nick he has white patches in his hair, and I was like WTF? not only is he an amalgam for 616 and Ultimate Fury they want him to look like GW Bridge, then I saw the episode "Iron Man is born" and they showed how it happened and I was like "Oh Em Gee" If I wasn't hooked on this show by then, that would have landed me, and its only been 8 episodes ( in reality 3 if you discount the "Micro-sodes")

"Radioactive spider blood"

I think what they lack is some sort of vague continuity and complexity, I know its easier for all episodes to be stand alone so they can be watched in any order but that wont get you hooked. Believe it or not producers children are actually quiet intelligent, so not only would that help develop their ability to follow stories and remember what happened last time. It will make them fall in love with these characters, like many of us did in our childhoods and that will last long beyond your show, onto other merchandise and maybe, just maybe it will instil a sense of justice in the kids. 

I speak for myself but watching the old Spiderman show as a kid, even the 60's one thought me what it was to be a hero, the difference from right and wrong, how to treat others (granted I had other influences too, Thanks Mom and Dad), but I know I wasn't alone and Stan Lee's vision and imagination helped many, many people.

"Excelsior!"

This post was going to be a review of an Avengers episode but it seems to have de-volved into a rant, so I might as well just run with it now.


So I guess I'll tell you what my plans are, I plan to review each episode for its awesomeness, unless something goes very wrong. I have 8 episodes to catch up at time posting. I will do them a little out of order to start with. Initially they produced twenty mini episodes of five minutes in duration, to showcase the characters. These were then strung together as full episodes ( four a piece) to serve as the five main characters (Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Ant Man, The Wasp and Captain America) origin episodes, then I'll start with the rest of the episodes in order.

"You have eaten Gotham's wealth, it's spirit, Your feast is nearly over"

So I guess that's me done for now, I'm gonna go work on the post I originally intended to Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes Episode 03 Iron Man is Born. See you next blog and remember folks! Excelsior!

No comments:

Post a Comment