Monday, October 4, 2010

Assassin's Creed Multiplayer First Glance

The newest incarnation of the Assassin's Creed series, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is gonna feature online multiplayer. The Beta was launched earlier this week exclusively to subscribers to Playstation Plus. The Game is out on November 16th 2010 for PS3,XBOX 360 and PC. 




Every fourth Wednesday I pop into the Playstation Plus section of the Playstation Store to see what free goodies I can get this month and sometimes a nice discounted goodie if its worth it, and I saw Assassin's Creed Multiplayer Beta and thought I'd give it a try. Three and a half Gigabytes and one update later I was ready to play. Now i'd never played an Assassin's Creed before, just never gotten around to it we were ships passing in the night.

Its a nice change of pace from most other online excursions, There are no M16s or grenades or run and gun in this. The objective is assassinate your target while not being seen or assassinated your self. The Beta only allows the Free-For-All type of match. The maps are pretty big but not so large it takes too long to find your target.

The maps are populated with lots of civilian NPCs, if you kill one of these by mistake you lose your contract and you will be assigned a new target. You get awarded XP for kills and for not being killed. The more stealthy you are the more rewards you receive. There is of course a levelling and kill streak system (This is a mandate in online these days) The Beta is limited to level 20, I'm only level 6 myself so far, but the reward vs effort seems pretty balanced as does the rewards you earn as you level. You can attain Disguises, Smoke bombs are other items to help out as you level. I'm sure more will be included when it goes live.

The better you play, The more assassin's that are sent after you. That's actually pretty fun, I found myself in 1st place then all of a sudden there were four other players after me. This is where stealth really comes into play. You can blend in with the civilians by not running and acting like them. Hide in haystacks etc it's pretty inventive.

The only drawback i've experienced is that it can take along time for the match making system to get me into a match. Now I'm not sure the cause, could be a bad connection on my part, or that not enough people were online when I was playing or since its Beta. Who knows?

I enjoyed it, and If you already have Playstation Plus its free so give it a try. Having not played Assassins Creed I'm not sure how it stacks up to the Single Player experience but I'm going to rectify that soon.

Well that's my first glance, hope you enjoyed it, See you next blog.

- Rigas

1 comment: